Wednesday, November 10, 2004

IT'S WHY IF YOU CAN MAKE IT IN NEW YORK, YOU CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE

IT'S WHY IF YOU CAN MAKE IT IN NEW YORK, YOU CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE

Ted Rall has a habit of disturbing me (and flat-out frightening most others), but this essay describing how most of the smarter people live in the blue states (and particularly in the urban areas) hits the nail right on the head. Or maybe I like it because it reinforces what I've already said.

Yesterday I received an email forward from my friend, Bruce Faber, which alleges the same in starker numbers, listing the average IQs of each of the states; of the red states, Virginia ranked highest, at 17. I don't believe it; I can't believe that there are states with residents' IQs averaging 85. (Yes, I know that half of all Americans will be below average.) This fellow, conservative blogger Steve Sailer, makes a good argument against these data in his blog. And naturally, Snopes.com does its usual yeoman duty by pointing out the errors of saying Bush voters were stupid.

Some of this is most certainly post-election dissonance, making those of us who voted for Kerry feel better.

But ultimately, what we're down to is this: Now that we're out of school, the jocks are still getting away with murder, and we geeks aren't smart enough to figure out how to prevent it.

No comments: