Thursday, January 20, 2005

US AGAINST THE WORLD

US AGAINST THE WORLD

Up until today, I had only heard about Seymour Hersh's article in the New Yorker, but today I read it, and boy, am I scared.

Ultimately, I'm scared because it appears that the nutjobs on the planet aren't confined to a few thousand idiots ringing the Indian Ocean, and one stunted fool in P'yongyang.

Of course, we've had nutjobs in the US government before — Curtis LeMay comes to mind, a man who felt an unused nuclear weapon was like a banana on the kitchen counter, better used before it went bad. But if Hersh's reporting is correct, then our all-Republican government has gone and made it possible for Donald Rumsfeld to pretty much declare war any time he feels like it, without a Congressional vote, without input from the CIA, and with impunity.

Look, even to someone like me, it's clear that there are military and intelligence objectives out there in the world to which we need to attend. But our tyrannosaurus-rex-in-a-china-shop approach to the rest of the world is going to lead to one frightening bite-us-in-the-ass proof of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

So, oh smug neoconservatives, now that you've dumped anyone who disagrees with you (or has an open mind) from the State Department, the Defense Department, and the Central Intelligence Agency, you'd better be right. Or else what's left of the country probably won't vote GOP in 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to read the Hersh piece. It's on my agenda and I hope to pick it up and get to it this weekend.

I did see a clip of Hersh explaining the hows and whys of his writing it. He claimed that there are those in the Bush White House who are opposed to any invasion of Iran, but these days you are not allowed to disagree. It's take the Kool aid, shut up, or get out. So they believed that taking the case to the media was the only way to bring it to the light of day.

Oh, don't me started on neocons. It depresses me to have had to live in the time of their ascension. So smug, so pious in their demand for rigorous adherence to their (of course) unbiased version of the truth, so....libertarian. I am of two minds in regards to four more years of these scary clowns both running the country and cheering them on in the blogosphere. On the one hand, since the conservatives now control everything, they have no straw men to blame for when they eventually fuck everything up, so I will enjoy watching them try to squrim their way out of the mess they've either made or supported. On the other hand, that fucking up could include the apocalypse, and that's too high a price to pay for an "I told you so," even for me. It's clear from Bush's inagural speech today that we're going to be spending the next four years doing a lot of stomping around the world, shoving democracy down the throats of heathens, whether they want it or not.