Tuesday, February 14, 2006

NOW I KNOW HOW THE FOLKS AT THE REALLY BIG AD AGENCIES FEEL...

NOW I KNOW HOW THE FOLKS AT THE REALLY BIG AD AGENCIES FEEL...

When I was the promotion manager at DC Comics in the 1980s, I was responsible for creating a tagline each year for the company. The goal was to let comics fans know that DC was no longer going to be the doormat for Marvel. DC was ramping up new formats, introducing new characters, and persuading established fan favorites to create comics at DC instead of at Marvel.

The first line I created was, "The new DC... we're on the move."

For 1983, the goal was to show that we had gathered momentum, and were actually winning the battle in some ways. So the new line I wrote -- which appeared on everything we did -- was, "The new DC... there's no stopping us now." We even used McFadden & Whitehead's "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" as theme music at our big trade show for our distributors that year.

All of which leads me to Dick Cheney. Some long-memoried comic fan remembered the line, dug out some old Jonah Hex covers from the era, and used it to tie together the Dick Cheney shooting as told through comic book covers (a cleverness one would normally attribute to Tom Peyer's Superfrankenstein, but Tom seems cool with it).

Another 1.5 seconds of fame for me. Gosh, and I deserve it!

No comments: