Thursday, October 06, 2005

I LIKE DAVID LETTERMAN, BUT...

I LIKE DAVID LETTERMAN, BUT...

I understand that performers are more vain than smart, and care more whether they look good than whether they comport themselves with intelligence or wit when they appear on talk shows like The Late Show With David Letterman.

But is it just habit, or is Letterman as stupid as everyone else, or are today's news reporters as stupid as performers? Tonight Letterman introduced NBC's Campbell Brown as "the lovely" (or maybe it was "the beautiful") Campbell Brown.

What the bleep does that have to do with her reporting skills?

Ironically, I've thought of her as a lightweight, but she actually comported herself with some intelligence, describing how she tried to find a way to get more information from the very secretive Bush White House. But just once I'd like one of these newswomen to just say to Letterman, "Dave, I resent you calling me beautiful. Call me smart, or just shut up."

Hey, it'd be good for ratings.

No comments: