Wednesday, March 20, 2002

COULD A STATUE OF SUPERMAN HAVE SAVED US ON SEPTEMBER 11?

Sometimes I'm behind, what can I say? I read today that Minneapolis, on May 8, will unveil a statue of Mary Richards (viz., Mary Tyler Moore) in her signature fling-her-hat-into-the-air pose from the opening credits of the 1970s Mary Tyler Moore Show.

That's wonderful.

Then, I read further, the statue is a gift from the TV Land cable network. Apparently it has a "landmarks" project, and "Mar" (as Murray called her) isn't the only television sitcom character to make it to bronze. In 2000, TV Land gifted New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal with a statue of loveable buffoon bus driver Ralph Kramden (viz., Jackie Gleason) from the classic show, The Honeymooners.

Having had my photograph taken in Tokyo as I stood next to an eight-foot bronze statue of Superman outside the Warner Bros. Store, it's plain that this idea charms me.

I don't know the marketing guys at TV Land (if they're listening, hey, call me), but if I could talk to them, here'd be some statues on my short list:

- Fox Mulder from The X-Files outside the FBI Building in Washington, DC. (It would need to be backlit in blue.)
- Adam West from 1966-68's Batman outside any Gold's Gym.
- Archie Bunker from All In The Family at 125th Street and Lenox Avenue in New York's Harlem.
- Barney Miller from the show of the same name to sit at a giant desk at 1 Police Plaza in New York City.
- Ricky Ricardo from I Love Lucy at Miami International Airport.
- Perry Mason from the show of the same name doing a little cross-examining outside the Los Angeles County Courthouse.
- Hawkeye Pierce of M*A*S*H outside the Veterans Administration Building in Washington, DC. (Smaller ones could be scattered at every VA hospital in the country.)
- Sgt. Bilko at the main entrance to the Pentagon in Arlington, VA.
- JR from Dallas in dowtown Big D (if there is such a place) and Capt. Nelson from I Dream of Jeannie at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL. (Or maybe it would be fun to switch the two.)

Your suggestions?

No comments: