Tuesday, April 26, 2005

JOURNALISTS LIVING IN GLASS HOUSES

JOURNALISTS LIVING IN GLASS HOUSES

I should have posted this at least a week ago, but I haven't had the chance until now. Both Harry Broertjes, who originally told me about Detroit Free-Press writer Mitch Albom picking on Jayson Blair, and Tom Peyer, who read my vitriol about Blair based on Albom's article, called my attention to the fact that Albom is 99-44/100ths per cent full of crap.

So now we've got another "journalist" inventing a story. Blair was building a reputation on his type of fraud, whereas Albom wrote his out of convenience. Like the Steve Martin weatherman in L.A. Story (a movie I highly recommend, especially to those with soft hearts), Albom didn't want to let the fact that he wouldn't be at the event prevent him from writing the story as if he were.

Broertjes contends Albom should be fired, and that's probably what should happen. But it's just another example of the blurring line between fiction and journalism, especially as practiced by the Fox News generation (where they substitute opinion for journalism).


No comments: