Tuesday, January 17, 2006

AND FOR OUR NEXT OMG MOMENT...

AND FOR OUR NEXT OMG MOMENT...

Sometimes one is tempted to make the meaningless statement, "The Internet is an amazing place." Except that the Internet isn't a place at all, and the only difference between the Internet and the world at large is that it doesn't include most of the poor, stupid people.

Which is why when you start to get distracted and find amazing stuff that people have actually gone out of their way to put on the Internet... especially well-designed stuff that people earn money for... then you're just sitting there and wondering if Pat Robertson isn't right.

Today I got an email from mediabistro.com with some links to interesting news stories. One was about Jeremie Ruby-Strauss, an editor at Kensington Books who is publishing books aimed at the Sub 30 Chromosome Y category (apologies if the link doesn't work; I'm registered there, and it's paid). So from there I went and visited www.tuckermax.com, since Tucker Max was one of the writers whose work Ruby-Strauss has acquired. Let me tell you, if Hemingway in Paris was typical of his generation of creators, and if Kerouac and his beatsters were typical of theirs, then, if Tucker Max is typical of his, then let al Qaeda come and do away with all of the US. Not everything can be about drinking too much and having strange sex. (Right?)

But, then, I read National Lampoon when I was in high school and college, and I still remember the cover of the woman catcher with her breasts on her back to match her reversed baseball cap, and I thought that was funny, so this may be exactly what 21-year-olds are like no matter what.

But then there was the ad on the right side of the page of the Tucker Max website. I had already heard of (and, prurient curiosity aroused, visited) hotornot.com, where ordinary folks with low self-esteem post their photo for validation. But on Tucker Max's site... where you're already reading about throwing up pantsless in sushi bars... you'll find likemynudephoto.com. And, if that isn't bad enough, enter "rate me" into any search engine, and you'll find numerous websites all devoted to rating people, with their permission or not, in various states of undress and occasionally more.

Amazing.

OMG.

2 comments:

Keely said...

And to think, I voluntarily inhabit the Human World on occasion. Maybe I should rethink this.

Great posts, BTW. Always something . . . uh, something.

Keely
Keely's Faery Good Advice

kojak said...

Did you know that Tucker Max is being sued...AGAIN!? Check out my blog for more info.